Saturday, June 18, 2016

One day outside of Oviedo

Oviedo is one of the most beautiful, liveable, friendly cities in Spain, IMHO. So to have a short day in tomorrow and then to be taking a rest day there (less than a week after my last rest day) means that I've got a lovely couple of days coming up. 

Today was a mostly nice day. I usually wake up between 5 and 5:30 but today I slept till 7!  I had a nice breakfast in the albergue and was on the road by 7:45 I think. Misty and beautiful. A tiny bit of rain fell but nothing bad. 


 
 First stop of the day --Santa Cristina de Lena, a 9th C pre-Romanesque church on a hill. I was there around 9:20 and the sign says open at 11.  But the woman with the key, who lives down the hill, has a soft spot for pilgrims and will come open it at any reasonable time if she's around. Amazing place. 



From there it wasn't so beautiful but the last 5-6 km alongside the river are pleasant if paved. 

I stopped for a Fanta de Limón break--now you know my secret vice on the camino. I was wondering why the town was so unattractive with mainly nondescript modern apartment buildings and then I saw s sign in front of city hall, which kind of cryptically explained that the old town hall had been destroyed during the "acontecimientos bélicos de los años 30."  That's the most sideways way I've ever seen of referring to the Spanish Civil War. 

And then into Mieres, a fairly unattractive city, where I'll spend the night in a pensión. Good deal at 25€ with a private bath but I was surprised to find it had no elevator and I'm on the fifth floor!  Spaniards call it the fourth floor but that's only because they call ground floor the zero level.  Quite a risen entice to pop back down and ask for the wifi password!  


No comments:

Post a Comment