Thursday, June 30, 2016

From Lugo to Ponte Ferreira.

Today was a fine day except for all the asphalt. And except for the tick. We have become a group of fifteen and that makes the post-walking time a lot of fun. And since one is a nurse, the tick removal process was quite professional. 

I left Lugo very early in the mist:



The day out of Lugo has always been hard on the feet but even more so now with all the hard gravel paths. It just defies belief to see what the government of Galicia has done with these trails. If it's not on pavement, it's on bulldozed and leveled gravel paths. I just don't get it. There is virtually no camino left. 

But anyway, the countryside is quite bucolic and we are in a brand new albergue so life is good. 





I'm learning how to play a Spanish card game and seem to generally be the loser. When I lose everyone sings the Star Spangled Banner -- pretty amazing that all 14 know the melody perfectly! I guess that is some kind of a political statement but I'm not sure what. 

One of the owners of the Albergue is Juanma, a wonderful very helpful guy whom I've finally gotten to meet in person. He has helped me many times on the Internet with my obscure camino questions.  It takes a very special kind of person to do this job well --7 days a week, from the crack of dawn ( breakfast at 6) till the place shuts down at 10 or so. 


Just a few days to Santiago!  All is well. Love to you guys. 



1 comment: