Thursday, June 9, 2016

Heat wave makes 30 km harder

Today's walk from Hontoria Del Pinar to Santo Domingo was a nice one with a few marshy wet parts and a few rocky foot-killing parts. Almost as bad as walking on the railroad bed rocks!  

Lots of walking through grazing lands. Had a nice little chat with the only person I saw all day, who was with the cows. He's lived all his life in the town below the pasture and told me I should detour down to see the pretty little village. Maybe next time. 





The heat has gone way up, soon to be brought down by some thunderstorms, but hopefully not while I'm walking!  


The town of Santo Domingo de Silos has a Romanesque cloister of great renown as well as famous singing monks. I will be at vespers at 7 to see if they are as good as everyone says. 


Tonight my friend Reb is joining me and we will try a new little Camino-- the San Olav from here into Burgos. It has to do with a Norwegian princess who married a Castilian prince long ago. She died young of homesickness and made her husband promise to build a church to Saint Olav. This was finally done a few years ago, I think, giving rise to a new camino. Highlights include dinosaur footprints and a Visigoths church. Can't wait!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment