Saturday, May 28, 2016

No pilgrims but bed bugs????

Or maybe they are fleas. Or maybe they are something much more harmless but I don't want to take a chance. This morning I woke up to see a curly line of about 7 red bites on my torso. Aargh. 

I have had them before, but at that time I was walking with a Spanish army sergeant who knew exactly what to do. I just spent the afternoon lounging on a roof terrace in a bathrobe supplied by the Hostal owner. This time I had to do it without Miguel, but my pal Annie helped a ton. 

It's amazing how bedbugs put pep in your step. I walked those 32 km to the Basilica in about 5 1/2 hours. They weren't really very idyllic most of the way. 



Glad I made it through the dangerous parts:


But going into town and seeing the Basilica was impressive:  


So far, things have worked out about as well as could be expected. Annie had already scoped out the town for important places like laundromat and where I could buy a cheap outfit. So here's how we did it. 

--check into hotel and leave all my stuff in bathroom in big plastic bags provided by hotel. 

--go buy insecticide to spray pack, and an outfit -- dress and underwear for 11.5 €. 

--go back to hotel and shower and put on new outfit 

--go to laundromat and put pack, sleeping bag, rain poncho, hat, all clothes and fanny pack into dryer for two ten minute cycles. (Seven is all that's technically needed) 



-- wash and dry all clothes 

-- go back and inspect toiletries, bag with charger, etc. 

Not exactly how I hoped to spend the day in this nice city, but oh well. 


1 comment:

  1. Hola Laurie, leo tus post entre asombrada y envidiosa. Te mandamos mucha fuerza desde Soto del Real donde las montañas y los Velasco te echan mucho de menos. Estamos deseando verte. Ah! Y yo no me hubiese preocupado por la picadura en la piel, seguro que solo era una pequeña araña. Besos. Olga

    ReplyDelete