Tuesday, May 31, 2016

First lovely day on a new Camimo

Had a good sleep all alone in this albergue. 



I have left the Ruta Del Ebro send started on the Camino Castellano-Aragones, which will take me through Soria and close to Burgos.  

There was nothing terribly special about today's 27 or 28 kms but the walk was wonderful. Even though I had a couple of water crossings, one easy and one tricky, and one awful highway crossing.  

I left my nice albergue a bit before 7 and within 3 minutes was off on a dirt/gravel road through fields. No people, no cars, just vineyards, wheat, barley, alfalfa. 



About at the halfway point, I went through a little town with more of that awesome mudejar construction from 14-15 C. 



Then out to do a huge half circle, with the town I just left and the town I was going to at the end points. So the camino turned a 5 km straight shot on the road to a 9-10 km meander through fields. I am not complaining because it was great. 


I was glad it was cloudy because there is no shade on this stretch. I was also glad it was cool because otherwise the local "cierzo" (strong wind) would have been hot and unbearable. 

I made it to town around noon and went to the town hall to get a stamp. I was greeted by the local gigantes, who are paraded around on local holidays. These guys are at least 15' tall, though you can't tell from the picture. 



The town of Borja is a wine center-- one wine from here you may have had is Borsao. 

Had a wonderful menu del día in a restaurant recommended by a friend and will now try to get up and walk around town after a very wonderful and filling lunch!  


YUM 

No comments:

Post a Comment