Sunday, May 29, 2016

Mayor 29. From Zaragoza to Torres de Berellen.

By the time I was installed in the albergue, my GPS showed 27, not bad given the terrible time I had getting out of Zaragoza. The first part was easy. I stopped in the basilica and lit some candles and sat a while. 



Then to the edge of town was a piece of cake. But then things went south. First, it's hard for me to judge which of four multi-layer roads the GPS wants me on, so as a result I wound up inside Zaragoza's train station. 

Then once that was sorted out, I realized that these GPS tracks must pre-date the current road configuration. So after climbing over a few concrete barriers, being thwarted by several high chain link fences, and realizing that I had to go back because I was heading into the divided highway, I finally saw, just over a little hill, a biking/jogging trail. Sure enough, there were the arrows!  I'm sure there is now s much better way to get there than the crazy route I took. I think if you looked at my GPS tracks, you'd think I was going in crazed circles.  

But from then on things were fine. 


Nice cool weather, several towns on the route with open bars, but the highlight was the Corpus Christi processions and all the kids dolled up for first communion. 



This is a little but lively town of 1500. The town has an albergue, the first since starting out eleven days ago. Now that I've showered and washed clothes, I'm hoping the crowds have disappeared and I can get a good lunch. 


So Annie is leaving Zaragoza for Santiago in an hour or so.  That's the way things go on the camino and we both had no expectations about how long we'd be together. We are good companions even if our walking paces are different, and who knows where we will meet up next.  

Buen camino Annie, I will miss you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment